[wplug] PghCodingDojo: Tuesday, June 9 - Sliding Puzzle Game

Bruce Adams bruce.adams at acm.org
Sun Jun 7 21:19:11 EDT 2009

Our next Pittsburgh Coding Dojo meeting is this coming Tuesday evening,
June 9th, from 6:00 until 8:00 at the Pittsburgh Tech Council offices.
The Tech Council, very nicely, provides us dinner (pizza, soda and
water). We'll be in different room starting with this meeting. We'll be
on the first floor in a room with a single, large table, more of a
conference room setup than a presentation or classroom setup.

The problem for this meeting is a Sliding Puzzle Game.

Implement a sliding puzzle game. The puzzle must be playable from
keyboard input. The program will generate a puzzle in a random
configuration and the generated configuration must be solvable. You may
create either the 8-puzzle or the 15-puzzle. The puzzle must throw a
small party when solved.

Possible extras:
* Include a mode that will automatically solve the puzzle
* Include an option to present a hint to the user.
* Have the puzzle be displayed as an ASCII art image that needs to be
arranged instead of simple numbers.

This idea comes from http://rubyquiz.strd6.com/quizzes/196
Our Dojo remains language agnostic. You are encouraged to work in
whatever language you like. Typically we have people working in several
different programming languages, giving us the opportunity to see how
different languages are brought to bear on the problem as well as
different people's approaches to a problem.

Directions to the Tech Council offices:
http://www.pghtech.org/aboutus/location-and-directions.aspx

We have a future Coding Dojo meetings scheduled for August 11th and
September 8th.

I hope you will join us!
- Bruce
http://PghCodingDojo.org