[wplug] Verizon Fios & static IP

DK wplug at curlynoodle.com
Thu Jul 9 21:05:04 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 8:25 PM, ssc1478 <ssc1478 at aim.com> wrote:

> I signed up for fios triple play - it'll be installed late July.
>
> According to pic's at this site:
> http://www.bricklin.com/fiosinstall.htm
>
> they will attach 3 pieces of equipment - two rather large - to my basement
> wall. Which is finished so I'm not to
> excited about it.  From Comcast all I have is one small 3x5x5 box - and
> that includes the battery backup.
>
> Anyway, on to my question.  Is the voice VOIP or a traditional phone?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil

Phil,

Don't let the Verizon lackey install any equipment where YOU (the customer!)
are not comfortable with its appearance, etc.  They may complain, but again,
you are the customer and the boss.

As I understand it, Verizon FiOS Voice is neither VoIP or POTS from the
end-user perspective.  Your premises wiring is still POTS (Plain Old
Telephone Service), but that ends at the Verizon hardware.  At that point,
its a proprietary system linking your handsets with the PSTN.

Dave