[wplug] Linux Disto and Net Admin tools Suggestions - Please.

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Wed Jul 8 23:48:59 EDT 2009

Michael Semcheski <mhsemcheski at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 7:37 AM, David Brown<browndavidc at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I want to set up my ACER Aspire 3680 laptop to use for network adim &
> > troubleshooting (both Linux & Windows clients).
>
> Install the most recent Fedora or Ubuntu.  They're both good, and
> there's no compelling reason to go with one over the other.

You may also want to consider Debian.  IMO, having a large package
selection is one of the great strengths of all three of these.  See
which one plays the best with your laptop hardware.

> As for a tool - VirtualBox is extremely useful in a mixed environment.

It's hard to make any suggestions without knowing just what your
needs are.  ServerWatch <http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/> and
LinuxPlanet <http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/>
both have some decent articles about a wide variety of admin tools.