[wplug] Verizon Fios & static IP

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 04:41:30 EDT 2009

2009/7/8 Terence J. Golightly <t.golightly at verizon.net>:
> Hi,
>
> I just got off the phone with verizon tech support.  I was "drop"
> shipped a new Actions**tec router. My second in as many months.  It was
> a curious conversation.  According to "them", I can no long set up a
> local static ip address for one of my boxes on my local network.  I'm
> told that only with a business account can I get static ip.  This
> doesn't make sense to me. Did they modify the routers? Besides getting a
> WRT54GL what are my options?

Sounds like the tech support person doesn't know what they are talking
about, and it's possible that they got confused with a public static
IP. It's also possible that they screwed up DHCP on newer routers so
that's not possible in your internal network either, but i've never
used their routers so i don't know offhand.

For what it's worth, WRT54GL works fine on Verizon's network, the only
catch is that you need to do tricks like putting your router in the
DMZ on the Verizon Router/Modem crap so the Linux router thinks it's
using the external IP.

-Yaakov