[wplug] Bridging Two FIOS Networks (Rob Lines)

Jeffry D. Woods jdwoods at jeffryw.com
Fri Jul 3 15:36:04 EDT 2009

Pretty simple to bridge using VPN solutions. We have a main office and
three sub-offices, servers are located at the main office, and all the
sub-offices can connect and also reach other sub-offices. We also use
Shoretel VOIP, and any office can connect with anyone using a three digit
extension.

For VPN appliances, we are currently using Cisco PIX's, but we are
upgrading to Cisco ASA's. The previous post about bandwidth limits is true
concerning the PIX's, but much more wide open with the ASA's. If you have
a 501(c)(3) designation, and most churches do, you can get a Cisco ASA
5505 (this would suite your situation well) for $136.00 at
http://www.techsoup.org. Use this link to view the product:

http://www.techsoup.org/stock/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=TechSoupMain&category%5Fname=Security+Appliance&product%5Fid=G%2D40966&Cat1=Hardware&Cat2=Security+Appliance&CatCount=2#r

They also list a Cisco ASA 5510, but this is probably overkill for what
you are doing.

By the way, Cisco does list restrictions on churches at the bottom of that
page. If you can qualify, this is a real good deal. The benefit of the
Cisco ASA are many, it's a good product, set it up once and you're done.
You can set this up pretty much from a web browser, or if you need help,
let me know and I'll set you up with someone who is very reliable and
pretty cheap.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

--