[wplug] globally changing the system bell in GNOME

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Mon Jan 12 18:26:35 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Jonathan Billings <billings at negate.org>wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 01:01:12PM -0500, Patrick Wagstrom wrote:
> > So, anyone know how to tackle this?  Every time the bell comes up it
> blasts
> > my ears out and seriously disrupts my groove.  A simple and subtle sound,
> or
> > even less noisy one would be great.
>
> I know this might make me sound old-fashioned, but does:
>
> xset b 0
>
> do anything for you?

That does actually disable the bell, just like unchecking "play alert sound"
does.  Unfortunately, I still would like the bell, but just not as
piercingly obnoxious, which is why I'm try tto change the sound.

The reminder of xset was helpful.   There's lots of cool ninja stuff you can
do there.

--Patrick