[wplug] globally changing the system bell in GNOME

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Mon Jan 12 13:01:12 EST 2009

Hey Folks,

Anyone know how to globally change the system bell in GNOME?  I'm not
talking about just disabling it in terminal (that you can do by setting a
visual bell), but for all the other applications. For example, Tomboy feels
the need to play the system bell when you hit down arrow and you're already
on the last line of the note.  I'm not trying to theme my desktop sounds,
really, I'm just trying to find a way to decrease the volume of it, so if I
can change the sound that would be great.  Eclipse also seems fond of
randomly ringing the system bell when you type stuff incorrectly (like
content assist requests when none is available).

I've tried seeing if anything comes up in PulseAudio when the sound is
played, so I could just tell pulse to mute the channel or decrease the
volume of the channel, but no dice.  It appears to be the old school
pc-speaker code.

So, anyone know how to tackle this?  Every time the bell comes up it blasts
my ears out and seriously disrupts my groove.  A simple and subtle sound, or
even less noisy one would be great.

--Patrick

PS. Yes I know about things like the volume keys on my laptop, which
decreases the volume of the system bell along with everything else on my
laptop, leaving me unable to listen to music, watch videos, etc.

Patrick Wagstrom
Email/gTalk: patrick at wagstrom.net
Personal: http://patrick.wagstrom.net/
Academic: http://academic.patrick.wagstrom.net/