[wplug] Several questions

Weber, Lawrence A laweber at switch.com
Tue Jan 6 08:01:05 EST 2009

I have been working on the development of a product using uClinux as one
of its embedded operation systems.  The development has been on PC's
running Fedora 8 and 9.  My work is requiring me to understand Linux in
more detail than before.  I have several petty questions that I would
like to bug you with.

1.  On one of my PC's I upgraded from Fedora 6 to 9 in one step.  I
mostly went o.k. I find that in my /usr/src/kernels directory four
subdirectories with kernel source.  Two for fc6 and two for fc9.  Why
are there two src directories for each version?

2.  I noticed that the kernel that is running (uname -r) is not the
highest numbered 9 kernel.  In fact it is not any of the kernels in
/usr/src
    2.6.25-14.fc9.i686 is listed as running
    2.6.25-14.fc9.i586 is in src as well as 2.6.27.9-73.fc9.i586

3.  Under /usr/src there is a redhat directory tree, but there are no
files.  What is it?

4.  Kernel numbering:  When is a dash used in the version number?

5. make xconfig will not run as it is seems to be compiling for KDE
(kconfig) while I am running gnome.  Is there a xconfig for gnome?

6.  When I was running fc6, the auto updating feature would always
report that the system was up-to-date.  I assumed that was because fc6
was too old.  When I did an update to fc9, I found that one of the fc6
kernel directories was changed.

7. Is this list of question a sign that I should go with Red Hat
Enterprise?