[wplug] wiki suggestions?

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Wed Feb 18 13:57:20 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Vance Kochenderfer <vkochend at nyx.net>wrote:

> Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 16:19 -0500, Zach Uram wrote:
> > > That the images it uses are very hard to read and users must try
> > > several times before they get an image they can read. Do any of the
> > > wikis you mentioned have automatic email registration?
> >
> > I don't have any trouble with them.  And I think it's pretty cool that
> > it's helping to OCR-transcribe old texts.
>
> Maybe my eyes are getting worse with age (or is it my brain?), but
> I have had trouble deciphering some Recaptchas.  Then again, they
> are selected precisely because they're hard to decipher, so maybe
> that's to be expected.
>
> One really nice feature is that if you can't read it, there's a
> button to click that will load a new CAPTCHA, without having to
> reload the whole page (and risk losing whatever you typed into the
> form).  Plus there's an audio CAPTCHA already built-in for
> visually-impaired users.
>
> In short, at this point if you need a CAPTCHA, it's hard to find
> one that beats Recaptcha.

It's also a little known secret that you only need to get one of the words
right with recaptcha.  That's because, for the most part, the recaptcha
system doesn't have any idea what the second word is.  It relies on multiple
people getting the word to build a confidence of what the word really is,
and that's why you can be kinda lazy.  It's pretty easy in all reality -
pick out the word that looks more common (non abbreviated, normal casing,
etc) and figure out that one.  For the second one just enter something like
"luisisarobot".  I figure it's only fair because he's made me think I'm a
robot often enough.

As for me, I'm waiting for my next ebook to start out:

It was the best of times, it was the luisisarobot of times...