[wplug] Archiving audio cds

Max Putas maxblaze at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 09:59:54 EST 2009

So, I finally found a great way to go about this: archiving to a
single FLAC file with an embedded cue file using abcde. That way, you
are left with a full, compressed archive of the CD which can create a
perfect (or close to perfect) copy of the CD again if needed. it's
really the best of both worlds.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/abcde/

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1652627&postcount=3

Pull the initial FLAC file:
 abcde -1 -x -N -a default,cue -o flac
(-x is eject after rip, -N is non-interactive)

Output the highest quality VBR files:
abcde -N -d album.flac -o mp3:"-V 0"

It also works with ogg, and a few other audio formats.

On Fri, Sep 7, 2007 at 9:57 PM, Diana A. Clarion <dclarion at fnordnet.net> wrote:
> I think Max was wanting to get an image of the entire audio CD, sort of
> analogous to the ISO-9660 image of a data CD.
>
> DAC
>
> On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 21:31 -0400, Eric Cooper wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 07:47:16PM -0400, Max Putas wrote:
>> >    I was wondering if it would be possible to archive audio CD images (dd
>> >    maybe?) and "mount" (I know that audio cds can't be mounted) them in
>> >    Linux to be used with CD player applications and rippers. I've asked a
>> >    few people about this and the general impression that I've gotten is
>> >    that it isn't possible. Anyone have some thoughts?
>>
>> Creating those audio CD images *is* ripping, unless I'm
>> misunderstanding what you want.  Once you've got the audio data off
>> the CD, you can use FLAC to get about 50% lossless compression.  Then
>> just host these on a server and any modern player can play them.

Thanks,

Max Putas