[wplug] extract video and audio?

Robert E. Coutch vze57qmg at verizon.net
Tue Aug 18 10:22:15 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 18 August 2009 12:01:11 am Zachary Uram wrote:
> There is some music (not copyrighted) I want to extract from a movie.
> Also I wish to extract a 1 minute segment of video from another movie.
>
> Zach

If it's a DVD it's easier to rip it with mencoder.
Otherwise I'd use ffmpeg.

View the movie with mplayer and use the OSD for position ( or run mplayer from
the command line) to find your start and end positions.

Then rip the audio portion by specifying the start and end positions and no
video.

You may want to force the final output into an mp3 container otherwise it will
be an avi file with just audio.
This might be done by processing your audio only .avi with ffmpeg to make it
an mp3 file.

Check out mencoders man page for -ss -endpos -vo null and look at ffmpeg's
online documentation since the man pages aren't very helpful.