[wplug] wi-fi security?

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 08:39:04 EDT 2009

On Thursday 06 August 2009 11:23:41 pm Eli Heady wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Mackenzie Morgan<macoafi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You'll need a router to be able to have two computers connected at once.
 Get
> > a wireless router (ex: Linksys WRT54G is about the cheapest you'll find)
and
> > set it up with WPA2 encryption if you want to be able to roam about the
house.

> If you haven't yet purchased a router, think about the WRT54GL. It's a
> bit more expensive than the G model, but you can flash it with the
> opensource OpenWRT firmware to get more functionality than the stock
> Linksys firmware.
>
> If you are interested in using an opensource firmware, see the OpenWRT
> website list of supported hardware to find cheaper models. Just be
> careful if you go with the WRT54G, some hardware versions are not
> Linux friendly in terms of running Linux *on* the router.

You need the ooooold versions of it.  My dad's v2 from like....4 years ago
would work, but a new one off the shelf wouldn't.  Oh, and Wikipedia's list is
better than OpenWRT's list.  My boyfriend bought a few different ones that
OpenWRT said would work but didn't because their list is incomplete and
doesn't list things like "oh yeah, this model number might have this other
default firmware loaded on that's hard to get rid of and might brick the router
in the process."

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo