[wplug] printer

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Fri Apr 24 10:02:34 EDT 2009

> 1) Must work in Linux (including sharing out to other platforms, open
> source drivers if possible)
> 2) B/W laser
> 3) Network-ready
> 4) Inexpensive toner
> 5) Durable
> 6) Little if any jamming problems
> 7) Can be used or new
> 8) $100 or less
>
> Any suggestions before I pull the trigger and buy a used HP Laser Jet 4050N?

	Isn't the 4050 a color laser? I also remember it was slow and ugly and
sometimes messy. Toner should be cheap these days.

	I recommend color lasers from Tektronix or Xerox. I always recommend
used laser printers for home use. Then again, I can't remember ever
buying a new laser printer for home use. Goodwill used to have decent
printers. Sometimes you can get lucky at work when they retire printers
(thanks Bob and Gary!).

	HP 8000DN - awesome tabloid duplex printing, pimped
	Tektronix Phaser 560 - awesome color laser, okay color
	Tektronix Phaser 740 - Best color printing possible is with wax

	Any network-capable Postscript printer is going to rock your world.
More modern printers may have better power-management, and may even be
silent - mine are not silent.

	I wonder if I should bother adding the 5000-sheet feeder and
staple/sorter attachments to the 8000...