[wplug] Linux Notebook Recommendation

Greg Simkins biz gregsimkins at me.com
Mon Apr 13 08:40:11 EDT 2009

It looks like you made a good move Drew.  I viewed the review video
at:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFmSoGzh2y4.  There are a lot of
features.

Until I just ordered the Dell Mini 9, over the past 3 years I had
shied away from purchasing Dell equipment since obtaining their
support is so frustrating, if not impossible.  I got accustomed to
walking into the Apple store when I have any issues with my MacBook
Pro or iMac.  I am not as clever as some of my WPLUG associates in
solving configuration problems and I very much value the Apple
technical support.

I am also reluctant to set up my own system on used equipment because
I always have issues with a driver or two with Linux.  After viewing
the video, I would be concerned that with the security features Dell
brags about on the D420, I would end up having trouble accessing the
system or encrypting all my data and losing the key (or perhaps ubuntu
disables all those features).  ...and as you say, you are still
fighting with Blue Tooth. At the price point on the Mini 9, I thought
I would try the experience of buying a stock Linux product and see how
it works without committing major dollars.  I had hoped to avoid
paying the "Microsoft Tax".  I am not sure if I did or not, but at
least I made a statement by not getting XP installed.

Thanks to all of you who made comments.

Greg