[wplug] Linux Notebook Recommendation

Andrew Fisk andy at spitcomp.com
Sun Apr 12 13:27:26 EDT 2009

I have a compaq pressario Y6700 that I got at best buy for $299 (on
Wednesday they have internet only sales, but you can order online and
pickup at the store) -- I bought a second hard drive so I could keep
the vista install (17 year old that wanted  to play games when we are
traveling) and then installed Unbuntu 8.10 which worked out of the
box, it's know running 9.04 beta.. Just a side note installing the new
drive and installing ubuntu took about 20 mins.  Setting up the "pre-
installed" vista and getting rid of the HP provided sillyware took
about 3 hours.

I also have a 16GB Dell mini 910 that runs 8.10 just fine.  I bought
the one with XP because it was cheaper(????)  than the unbutu pre-
installed version.  It also runs OSX :)  You do need to buy a copy of
OSX, but it's a whole lot cheaper than a macbook air So if you were
thinking about a macbook you can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Have fun with it!

Thanks

Andy
Spitfire Computer Services