[wplug] Linux Notebook Recommendation

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 16:46:26 EDT 2009

On Saturday, April 11, 2009, Greg Simkins biz <gregsimkins at me.com> wrote:
> I wanted to buy a notebook with ubuntu installed (so I know all the
> drivers are there).  BethLynn recommended one from zareason, but they
> went out of stock and won't give any date for their next model.

Is that the UltraLap SR? I have one.  I unfortunately requested a bit
of bleeding edge hardware be customized in. They no longer offer that
option but I'm going to tell them Jaunty has a more stable driver so
they can bring it back next month.

> I am confused about a business that has demand for a
> product and then lets it go out of stock with no date for a new model
> - this indicates that something is a little strange at zareason.

They don't manufacture their own hardware. They're system builders.
Cathy told me they move into the manufacturing arena to get better
choices and avoid being screwed by suppliers.

> Or an explanation as to why zareason
> dumped a recommended model?

Asus probably ran out and isn't giving them any info.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169