[wplug] RAID 5 question on recovery

Chris Romano romano.chris at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 20:16:22 EDT 2008

I have an Iomega NAS with 4 SATA drives configured in RAID 5.  The box
seems to have died but the drives still spin and seem to working fine.
 Because it's a NAS box, there aren't any communication ports other
than the NIC so I have no way of figuring out what is going on.  I've
talked to Iomega and they are going to ship me out a new box but I
need to recover the data that are on the drives.  This because runs a
version of linux ... not sure what kernel or anything.  Any chance
that I could hook these drives up to a RAID controller and get at the
data?

BTW ... I know people are going to say that regular backups should
have been done ... it was being backed up. However, the backup failed
the last few days.  So it was kind of like a perfect storm to loss
data.

Thanks,
Chris

--
"They that would trade essential liberty for a little temporary safety
deserve neither." -- Benjamin Franklin