[wplug] Google Chrome?

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Tue Sep 2 18:01:46 EDT 2008

Zach Uram wrote:
> Has anyone tried it? I hope it is ported to Linux soon. Wonder if it
> will eat into Firefox's market share? I hope FIrefox and Chrome can
> work together to eat away at Internet Explorer's 80% market share!

I've been playing with it for a little while today.  You'll notice that if
you go to the page they have a sign up page for Linux, usually Google is
pretty responsible about emailing people.

First impressions -- it's a browser, with no flashblock and no adblock.  A
bit of a bummer, suddenly the web has ads again.  Wow, the web is like a
crappy version of times square now.  Blinky ads everywhere.

More in depth impressions -- Chrome takes a dramatically different approach
to browsing.  It's the first multi-process browser, which means that single
apps don't block everything else.  Javascript is really fast and javascript
heavy sites don't kill your computer if you've got a dual core system.

Sadly, it's more likely that Chrome will eat away at Firefox's market share
than IE's.  FF users are a bit more discriminating about making a conscious
choice, not the case with many IE users (although I know a few who have
chosen to use IE).

--Patrick