[wplug] pdf to ?

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Sep 2 09:50:44 EDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 05:11:18PM -0400, D. Joe wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 05:01:50PM -0400, Zach Uram wrote:
> > This may sound strange but I am looking for a Linux utility that
> > will let me:
> >
> > 1) convert from pdf to html and save any images, diagrams etc.
> > 2) convert from pdf to ASCII text
>
> $ dpkg -S `which pdftotext`
> poppler-utils: /usr/bin/pdftotext

I'm using pdftotext to read PDFs in my mail (when possible), it works
fairly well, as long as there's actual text in the PDF and not images
of text.

I have this in my ~/.mailcap:
application/pdf; pdftotext %s - | fmt -w 75; copiousoutput

(I use fmt to word wrap the text because I read my mail in a
80 character wide terminal.)