[wplug] quick hardware question -- Dual Channel in Single Channel mode

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Sat Oct 25 11:15:29 EDT 2008

Here's something easy for folks who follow hardware more often than me.

I've got an older Athlon 64x2 running on an nForce4 motherboard (MSI
k8n-neo4).  It currently has a single 1GB stick of single channel ram.
I've added some more standard services to the machine and am adding more
ram.  I see that NewEgg has DDR 400 ram on sale with sweet rebate -- $20
for 2x1GB sticks of Dual Channel (normally a stick of this antiquated ram
is $40).

Is it possible to force dual channel sticks to operate as single channel?
Or must dual channel memory always be operated in pairs?

Thanks!

--Patrick