[wplug] wireless insecurity - WPA key "cracking" with Nvidia GPUs

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Sun Oct 12 20:18:21 EDT 2008

Zach Uram wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/10/graphics_card_wireless_hacking/
>
> http://www.scmagazineuk.com/WiFi-is-no-longer-a-viable-secure
> connection/article/119294/
>
> http://sid.rstack.org/pres/0810_BACon_WPA2_en.pdf

In the most proper context, this isn't really a crack.  What they're
actually doing is utilizing the parallel processors on the GPUs to brute
force the keyspace.  They haven't really found any vulnerability in the
protocol (as was the problem WEP), rather they're just able to check all
the keys.

What I haven't seen a clear indication of (although I haven't read all the
links above) is whether it affects the enterprise WPA stuff.

In any case, just use a VPN if you're really paranoid.

--Patrick