[wplug] compositing in metacity

E. Brian Doran ebdoran at comcast.net
Tue Nov 18 21:29:29 EST 2008

The new ATI drivers do not handle composite with multiple GPU's.  The catalyst
version for their range of firegl enterprise cards now implements multiview
to replace xinerama..

"As described by AMD, MultiView provides "the ability to utilize GPUs from
multiple adapters on an independent multi-display desktop. It allows a user
to configure, manage and use a MultiView configuration under Linux and allows
OpenGL applications run on any displays driven by multiple GPUs." Right now
though there are several caveats when it comes to the support. MultiView will
only work on systems that contain two identical FireGL graphics cards that
belong to the FireGL V3300, V3350, V3400, V3600, V3700, V5200, V5600, V7400,
or V7700 series. With that said, no Radeon graphics cards are currently
supported by MultiView. Additionally, MultiView is not compatible with Compiz
and it will not work if you are using Xinerama with X.Org. Last but not
least, the RandR 1.2 support that was added in Catalyst 8.9 is disabled when
using multiple ATI graphics cards."

So as it stands this issue lies with both vendors, but ATI seems to be more
aggressive with solving the issue.  Currently with nvidia I have xinerama and
OpenGL applications working working across 3 screens (1 large desktop), just
not composite extensions (compiz).

I hope both development parties, nvidia and xorg, come together for xrandr1.3
as it looks like they might support multiple gpus, or rewrite X framework.

-Brian