[wplug] problem with apache log files and awstat

Neal Sofge neal_sofge at rand.org
Mon Nov 17 21:03:21 EST 2008

> How can I have awstat run once per month and generate the
> statistics based on *all* the log files?

It's been nearly two years since I did this, but here's the relevant
line from the config file:

LogFile="/[webroot]/cgi-bin/logresolvemerge.pl /[webroot]/Logfiles/* |"

(Replace [webroot] with your Linux flavor's preferred location, like /
var/httpd/ for Red Hat.)

This lets AWStats run the analysis in one step from your raw logs
with no merge files to clutter up your server.

I had a cron job that managed all of this on the first of each
month.  It emptied the logfile directory, rsync'ed the previous
month's logs from the main web server, then ran AWStats.  Easy, and
simple to maintain.

--
Neal Sofge, Lead Web Technologist Emeritus
RAND Corporation <http://www.rand.org/>

may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use,
of the original message.