[wplug] Pittsburgh Mapping Party (This weekend 11/15-11/16)

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 09:20:15 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 1:27 AM, Zach Uram <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Vance,
>
> Cool. So what Linux program would let me query all this GPS data? I
> don't have any GPS equipment so I can't help. Doesn't Google already
> have a database of satellite images and street level photos?

There's the website www.openstreetmap.org or you can use one of
several free as in speech licensed programs, such as JOSM, Merkaator
and several others for various handheld devices.  You can also use
GPSBabel to convert OSM formatted maps into other formats to use on
various devices like those insidious Garmin dashboard GPS devices.

If you come by today, we can also give you a demonstration.

-Yaakov