[wplug] Old Laptop

Ed Stewart edstewart1 at verizon.net
Fri Nov 14 12:25:38 EST 2008

I have an older Dell P3-500 laptop running Ubuntu 8.04. it would not run
the live cd and wondered off somewhere during startup. I added 256 megs
of ram to the existing 128 and everything worked fine, did the install
and installed ndiswrapper and bought a Belkin wireless adapter, ran the
windows install cd and now have a linux wireless laptop that works fine.
Ed

DK wrote:
> Your system is rather old, and may experience issues booting newer
> Linux kernels.  I have had this same issue on an old IBM P3 notebook.
> However, I would recommend trying Damn Small Linux, aka DSL.  This
> distribution is made specifically to help give life to old hardware.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>

> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Weber, Lawrence A <laweber at switch.com> wrote:
>
>> I have an old IBM E600 Pentium II laptop currently running a buggy Win2k.
>> It is connected to a wireless network via a PCMCIA card (D-Link).  RAM:128,
>> HD:20G.
>>
>> I would like to replace the OS with Linux and use it for a simple serial
>> terminal and occasional wireless web browsing and email. I have tried
>> XUBUNTU, Slackware and a couple other LiveCD's to see what distro might work
>> but have not been able to get any to boot.  They start but never finish.  I
>> recently tried what I thought was a FreeBSD LiveCD but it also refuses to
>> get very far into the boot.
>>
>> Should I be looking at an older version of Linux?  Should I expect problems
>> with the PCMCIA wireless card?

With Ubuntu, You don't Microsoft!