[wplug] Old Laptop

Weber, Lawrence A laweber at switch.com
Fri Nov 14 08:49:14 EST 2008

I have an old IBM E600 Pentium II laptop currently running a buggy
Win2k.  It is connected to a wireless network via a PCMCIA card
(D-Link).  RAM:128, HD:20G.

I would like to replace the OS with Linux and use it for a simple serial
terminal and occasional wireless web browsing and email. I have tried
XUBUNTU, Slackware and a couple other LiveCD's to see what distro might
work but have not been able to get any to boot.  They start but never
finish.  I recently tried what I thought was a FreeBSD LiveCD but it
also refuses to get very far into the boot.

Should I be looking at an older version of Linux?  Should I expect
problems with the PCMCIA wireless card?