[wplug] fsck options

Alheid, Gregory alheidgj at upmc.edu
Fri May 30 15:35:16 EDT 2008

Arnaud,

    After reading the man page it seems fsck -y /dev/sda
    is all I need. Is this correct? I also noticed a few
    derivatives of fsck (i.e. e2fsck, etc).

The "-y" will automatically correct errors and you may not
want to do if there are problems with the file-system.

I would first run  e2fsck -f </dev/sda>  (you need to specify
the file-system, such as /dev/sda1 or /boot, to be checked)
and if this runs OK, there is noting else you need to do.

This should be the case if the file-system has been shutdown
correctly, i.e. there have no power failures or system crashes.

If the fsck command does not run without error, corrections
will need to be done. I would run the script command and
record the changes made using the "-y" parameter. Even then,
the fsck command should be re-run again with "-f" after
corrections and if there are still errors repeat the fsck
commands using "-y" and -f until there are no errors using "-f"

Greg