[wplug] fsck options

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Fri May 30 14:52:48 EDT 2008

On May 30, 2008, at 12:41 PM, Arnaud Loos wrote:

> So my system decided to autorun fsck after 30 or so mounts on my
> ubuntu system and it failed. I don’t have the error in front of me
> but it basically said I need to run it manually with the drive
> unmounted. I’m going to boot from a livecd but my question is
> regarding the command line options. After reading the man page it
> seems fsck –y /dev/sda is all I need. Is this correct? I also
> noticed a few derivatives of fsck (i.e. e2fsck, etc). Is there a
> different command which would be better suited to my ext3 filesystem?

'fsck' is the generic name for the filesystem check for UNIX and UNIX
derivatives. Most often, 'fsck' will actually run the appropriate
filesystem for the device, so 'e2fsck' (fsck for EXT2 and EXT3
filesystems) is fine to run on an EXT2/3 filesystem.  e2fsck won't
work on a ReiserFS or XFS filesystem, however.