[wplug] video management portals (slightly OT)

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Wed May 21 16:19:14 EDT 2008

Folks,

I've been tasked with some exploration for an upcoming research project.
We're going to be taking large amounts of high definition video and audio
and archiving the data, both for our research and future possible video
production use.  We'd like to find some sort of web portal system that
allows us to do the following:

Upload high quality video
Provide lower-bitrate streaming copy
Provide access to original H.264 files
Tagging, Searching, Commenting of Videos
Hosted by us

Those are our hard requirements, it cannot be a public site as due to IRB
restrictions we can't put the data somewhere that other folks can stumble
on it.  We've got a few other soft requirements, but I'll just start with
the musts.

I've looked around at some of the common portal packages, such as Joomla
and Plone and haven't found a good plugin for what we need.  Anyone know of
one that works well?  Otherwise, we'll end up using Microsoft Interactive
Media Manager or something like that.  I figure I'd ask if someone knew of
an OSS solution first.

Thanks!

--Patrick