[wplug] wplug Digest, Vol 51, Issue 16 Using Linux at college.

shawnzier at gmail.com shawnzier at gmail.com
Wed May 21 00:09:38 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 09:45:05PM -0400, Patrick Wagstrom wrote:

> I think that's a missing point from the message you replied to.  In most
> cases, you can make OK powerpoint slides using OpenOffice -- there's even
> somethings that it does better, like font smoothing and antialiasing.  The
> support for styles is really nice too and something that PowerPoint can't
> really compare to.  However, when you get complex, you have the same
> problem that PowerPoint users have -- something gets jacked up somewhere.
> If you're not doing animations or embedded video, PDF and CTRL-L are your
> friends.

You're right. The conversion stuff is too much hassle. It never comes
out right.

I would suggest never using animations because they're pretty cheesy and usually
dont add any value to the presentation. I've gotten away from embedding
video too, but at least that can be useful in some cases.

> When I'm running a class, the last thing I want some student doing is
> running some other piece of software from a USB stick.  Sorry, that idea
> doesn't fly.

Good point. Although, in a lot of cases, the professor is already letting
them copy their files from a USB stick. They could probably run
something nasty from it if they wanted to without anyone knowing.

> They probably know they exist, they probably just don't care.  In most
> cases professors are overworked and don't have time to worry about some new
> program from some company that may or may not do something nifty.

True. I guess I was kind of on a rant there.