[wplug] wplug Digest, Vol 51, Issue 16 Using Linux at college.

shawnzier at gmail.com shawnzier at gmail.com
Tue May 20 20:23:58 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 05:48:21PM -0400, Lee wrote:
> Hello,
> My nephew went to Slippery Rock. He couldn't use Linux because he needed
> to use Power Point. He didn't have any other problems because everything

I don't see any reason that the professors should require the student to
use powerpoint. Openoffice can make presentations just as well and you
can save them in .ppt format if there is a presentation machine that is
used for the entire class and it doesn't have openoffice on it or
whatever.

I'm pretty sure there's even a version of openoffice that runs from a
usb stick. I would think this would be ideal. You could then use the
native openoffice format so you dont have those weird conversion
problems from saving documents made by openoffice into microsoft
formats.

You would think colleges would be the first to adopt open formats. Do
you think they really dont know these alternatives exist?