[wplug] OpenSSL security vulnerability

Christopher DeMarco demarco at maya.com
Thu May 15 16:02:36 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 03:49:36PM +0200, Patrick Wagstrom wrote:

> possible key space to 2^15 keys instead of 2^1024 possible keys.
> Yeah, it took two years for people to realize this.

I ordinarily don't read Slashdot, but this caught my eye:

    Lesson#1: It's best to not change code you do not understand
    without getting it reviewed by people who (are supposed to)
    understand the code.

    Lesson#2: If you write code that deliberately does weird things
    like wanting to read unitialised memory, PUT A COMMENT so that
    people other than you have a fighting chance with your code.

Amen.

--
Christopher DeMarco <demarco at maya.com>
IT Director