[wplug] OpenSSL security vulnerability

Christopher DeMarco demarco at maya.com
Thu May 15 10:23:32 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 03:49:36PM +0200, Patrick Wagstrom wrote:

> I haven't seen any discussion of this, but it's actually very
> important.  Some time ago, approximately two years, a single line
> was removed from the Debian installation of OpenSSL.  Reading
> around, it looks like it was removed because the line caused a
> problem when profiling the code with Valgrind.  Unfortunately, this
> had the nasty side effect of reducing the possible key space to 2^15
> keys instead of 2^1024 possible keys.  Yeah, it took two years for
> people to realize this.

[snip]

> complete key sets on the net, and I'd imagine that by this evening
> the 4096 set will be available to download.  Thus, if you run a

For the record: This vulnerability was announced on the 13th, so
Patrick's estimate of "this evening" for the next bit (ha!) of
keyspace to hit the 'net.

This is A Big Deal.  Drop whatever you're doing and go fix this --
this can be considered on par with disk errors on the urgency scale.

--
Christopher DeMarco <demarco at maya.com>
IT Director