[wplug] Managing updates

Diana A Clarion dclarion at fnordnet.net
Thu May 8 20:16:12 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 21:14 -0400, Jonathan S. Billings wrote:
> I build my own packages for software that is either too old in the
> current distro or isn't packaged there.  Learn to build packages for
> whatever distro you use, it is helpful.
>
> That said, I think you might want to reconsider replacing the default
> gcc your version of the linux distro provides.  There is an incestuous
> relationship between gcc, glibc and the linux kernel, and not having
> them in sync can lead to the inability to build new software or kernel
> modules.  You can do what Redhat/Fedora did, and call alternate
> versions of gcc their name with the version appended, like 'gcc34', or
> put it in an alternative location.  When you want to build software
> with the alternative gcc, just use CC=/usr/bin/gcc34 or
> CC=/opt/gcc3.4/bin/gcc in the Makefile or configure run.

I heartily agree with both of Jon's points.  Building your own packages
can be fun, and even useful.  You might not like the version of the GIMP
your distro provides, for example; build your own.  If you can build gcc
and have it running, you surely have enough going on to learn the
maintainers' end of package management.

As to replacing gcc:  The compiler is just one of those packages you
don't want to replace unless you absolutely *have to*; then once you've
done it, you *really* need to rebuild everything you have with the new
compiler.  Better to simply replace the entire distribution.  By the
way, I maintain my own distribution, and have been using gcc-3.2.3 since
2004.  Gives you an idea of what I mean by "absolutely have to"...

DAC

--
Diana A. Clarion, Goddess of the Network:
http://www.fnordnet.net/~dclarion/

Buy My Pretty Pictures, Maybe?
http://dianaclarion.etsy.com/