[wplug] Managing updates

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Wed May 7 14:18:07 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Weber, Lawrence A <laweber at switch.com>
wrote:

> I like getting rid of the old versions so there is no chance for a new
> version to grab a header/library/etc from an old version.  Also disk
> space is an issue.

I think what the maintainers of the distribution expect you to do is
upgrade.

A distribution contains a set of applications that are designed to work with
each other.  As bugs are found in those specific versions, bug fixes are
released and distributed via the update manager.  However, the major version
of the application doesn't change unless you upgrade your distribution.

The maintainers of the distributions have to cut off support for old
versions at some point.  It sounds like yours are past that point.  You can
upgrade individual applications to suit yourself, but there is no officially
sanctioned, supported way to do this.  (As far as I know.)

All that said, if you still are just trying to get rid of /bin/gcc, and its
an RPM based system, you could do:
rpm -qif /usr/bin/gcc

This will tell you what rpm is providing that file.  You can then remove the
RPM (and the file and its associations) using yum or rpm.  I would say its
better to leave the newer application in /usr/local/bin rather than moving
it to replace the distributed version.