[wplug] Managing updates

Weber, Lawrence A laweber at switch.com
Wed May 7 12:13:35 EDT 2008

One of my biggest problems with maintaining my Linux systems is associated with updating an application.  I heavily rely on the built in update manager for most updates but they seem to stop finding updates when a system get to be a couple of versions old.

I find I have to manually update many of the very low level applications; yesterday it was gcc.  After resolving some version dependencies with other components, I  successfully compiled the new version and installed it in the default location, /usr/local.

I did this so I could test the new version without destroying my older version.  Now that it works, how do I go about moving it to /bin?  There are numerous components and I am concerned that a manual move will miss something.  Is my only option to rebuild it with --prefix set to /bin?  I could leave it in /usr/local but then how do I remove ALL of the old version?

Lawrence A. Weber
Consulting Engineer