[wplug] Linux imaging

Rob Lines rlinesseagate at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 10:35:09 EST 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:17 AM, <larry at daberko.com> wrote:

> Hi, I've been tasked with installing 10 Fedora8 boxes.  I plan to make one
> master install and copy that to the 9 others.  The boxes are all the same
> model, if not exactly the same.

> The master will be installed in the shop, while the copies will be done at
> the customer's site.  I might have access to a windows laptop if needed.
> I may be able to do multiple machines at once if any are available.
>
> What would you recommend doing in this situation?

I have had good luck with ghost 4 linux. http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l

I used it with a local FTP server and it was pretty fast for a 40gb drive
with about 10gb of data.  I have not used it on LVM drives so I don't know
how it deals with it.

It is important to follow the instructions and zero out the drive free space
and use the compression for faster imaging.

For the initial test I was able to use filezilla server on a windows desktop
but moved to a linux machine in production for the ftp server.

We were taking about 20 minutes per machine to put the image out and around
an our or 2 to make the initial image.

after imaging you will have to make the normal changes to the machines to
make them unique.

-Rob