[wplug] Re: Isn't there a place that takes computer scrap?

Beth Lynn Eicher bethlynneicher at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 11:59:32 EST 2008

I've tried to use many different local compuer recyclers.  Which one
you choose depends on your situation. The quick answer is goodwill:
they accept more stuff than they did in their "book ends" days.

Here is my log of activity for the past 12 months.

circa April 07 I had a 200 sq foot room to clear out that had 3 high
stacked cpus and crts with a weekend of time. The majority of the
service-able stuff went to those who helped out. 20+ questionable crts
went when Charles from comprecycle came out to the site with a truck
and a handcart to haul the crts away. Comprecycle charges for their
pickup service. as I recall about 10 bucks an item. Comprecycle is
very professional and shows up for appointments. I'd use them again if
I had more cash than space and time. These guys accept broken crts
which the below sources do not.

circa May 2007 I wanted to give my 486 to secondlifecomputer.com but
for the life of me I couldn't find the place. I ended up going to
constructionjunction (cj) and dumping it in the high tech scrap bin.
As usual the bin was overflowing to the the point where it wasn't safe
so I'm sure the cj people were annoyed at high tech scrap. Did another
poster say that this bin at cj bin is being serviced by comprecycle
now?

December 2007 I took 4 boxes of mice, pci boards, speakers, cat 5
cable, and microphones at goodwill southside. They stocked some stuff
immediately. Other stuff they put in a room behind the counter for
testing and pricing. They gave me a reciept for my taxes.

Unknown dates I dropped of used cell phone stuff and print cartriges
at my church in their bins. I think I saw recycle bins for this stuff,
floppies, and cdrs at cmu in the green room in the uc. Batteries can
be recycled at Batteries Plus and Radio Shack stores.

best of luck! Beth Lynn