[wplug] weird rsync error

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 20 20:33:49 EST 2008

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:33:54 -0400
Zach <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 7:53 PM, Tom Rhodes <trhodes at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> >  Umm, I have several Linux installs available to me - which I'll
> >  gladly try to build binaries on for you.  There is one problem
> >  though.  I have no clue what version of Linux is installed - and
> >  never really cared.  Without rebooting, how can I tell if this is
> >  Ubunto, or Gentoo, or Redhat, or CentOS, or Fedora, or
> >  the_latest_flavor_of_the_week_version_1_cause_we_are_so_disorganized
> >  ?
>
> Try "uname -a"
>
> >  A command like "/sbin/wtflinuxflavor" would be really nice, all it
> >  needs to do is "echo You're running XXX" or
> >  "printf You're running ZZZ"
>
> Good idea :)

Yea, the "uname -a" was my first choice ages ago and that
never pans out for me.  Honestly, the Linux version of uname(1)
has three extensions to the POSIX standard, these are:

-p -i -o

It would be really nice if they could add the following:

case d:	printf("Fedora Core\n");
        break;

to their switch statement and then add in their manual page:

"The uname command is expected to conform to the IEEE Std 1003.2
(``POSIX.2'') specification.  The -d, -i, -o, and -p flags are
extensions to the standard and should not be considered portable."

--
Tom Rhodes