[wplug] weird rsync error

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Wed Mar 19 22:53:15 EST 2008

Zach wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 10:39 PM, Tom Rhodes <trhodes at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>  That's very interesting - I've only seen that issue on OpenSolaris
>>  but I guess it can happen here as well.  Run this:
>>
>>  scp id_dsa.pub username at host:~/.ssh/authorized_keys
>>
>>  Should have also noted that I'm assuming sshd on the server is
>>  allowing keys - though, if it isn't, you should be able to just
>>  create your own ssh_config locally and overwrite.  But we'll
>>  cross that bridge when we come to it.
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> Seems once again a connection is established but no file transfer
> takes place. This is really vexing! Details below:

> debug1: Authentications that can continue:
> gssapi-with-mic,publickey,gssapi,password,keyboard-interactive

This is a key line.  Despite the fact that the machine advertises it use a
public key, it really can't, that's why it's not accepting it.  This is
endemic to machines that accept kerberized SSH sessions at CMU.  Your
client is offering the key, but the server isn't accepting it.  Don't
worry, it happens on many many machines at CMU.

The solution to a passwordless login is to use kinit to get a kerberos
ticket and then use a kerberized version of SSH to login.

--Patrick