[wplug] Sendmail configuration

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Wed Mar 19 17:44:35 EST 2008

Deepan wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am using sendmail via php mail function to send
> emails. However few servers reject my mails with
> the error 'Sender address rejected: Domain not
> found', since mails from my server are sent as
> email at localhost.localdomain. How do I change this
> to a valid domain name ? We only own a public IP.
> we dont really have a domain name, is it possible
> to use IP ?

It may be possible to use an IP, but there is a very good chance that your
email will get marked as spam, as only spammers use IP addresses for their
emails.  If you only have a single IP and it is from Comcast, Verizon, or
other residential broadband provider, there's a good chance that even if
you get a domain and set up a proper mail server that it will be rejected
as spam due to the fact that almost every address from Comcast and Verizon
is blackholed.

Your best bet is to register a domain, set it up so the mail is done by
google apps for domains, and send the mail through there.  You can have a
small program queue up messages and then send them through the IMAP
interface.  The mail will get slowed down a little, but it should get
through.  That's just my $0.02 for the situation.

--Patrick