[wplug] weird rsync error

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Wed Mar 19 17:06:27 EST 2008

Zach wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Alexandros Papadopoulos
>>  Try this:
>>  $ rsync -avP -e "ssh -v" doxygen.diff chaos at unix.club.cc.cmu.edu:/afs/club.cc.cmu.edu/usr/chaos/tmp
>>

> It authenticates and tries to send the file but encounters a problem.
> The directory $HOME/tmp exists so that shouldn't be a problem. This
> account uses AFS and kerberos so I wonder if that could be problematic
> for rsync. But I have no problem ssh'ing into the account. Does
> someone know how I could transfer the file using scp? Maybe that would
> work.

It's the kerberos setup.  You can use kinit to get the kerberos ticket and
then kerberized version of SSH to connect without a password.
Unfortunately, for most machines at CMU that support kerberos, even if you
upload an authorized key, you still can't do passwordless login unless you
do kerberos.

--Patrick