[wplug] weird rsync error

Zach netrek at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 08:12:43 EST 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 5:14 AM, Alexandros Papadopoulos
<apapadop at alumni.cmu.edu> wrote:

>  I don't know why this is so, but I've always found that temporarily
>  storing the password in an environment variable works much better.
>
>  $ export RSYNC_PASSWORD=blah
>  $ rsync ....

Hi,

I tried that but rsync still prompts me for the password. And then the
same error occurs, but this time it took nearly 3 minutes:

ubuntu at ubuntu:~/Desktop$ export RSYNC_PASSWORD=foo

ubuntu at ubuntu:~/Desktop$ time rsync -avP --progress doxygen.diff
chaos at unix.club.cc.cmu.edu:/afs/club.cc.cmu.edu/usr/chaos/tmp
chaos at unix.club.cc.cmu.edu's password:
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(434)

real    2m53.439s
user    0m0.051s
sys     0m0.209s

Here is the version I have, maybe RSYNC_PASSWORD isn't known to it?

ubuntu at ubuntu:~/Desktop$ rsync --version
rsync  version 2.6.6  protocol version 29
Copyright (C) 1996-2005 by Andrew Tridgell and others
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks, batchfiles,
              inplace, IPv6, 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

Zach