[wplug] cores

terry mcintyre terrymcintyre at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 13:12:58 EST 2008

We also use 64-bit on our new server installs,
primarily to enable the use of lots of RAM - 8,12,24
Gigabytes; 32-bit versions don't allow such large
amounts of RAM. I also use 64 bit on my personal
machines, two of which are using 4 and 6 gigs of RAM.

I found a 32-bit version of firefox for ubuntu, which
lets me run Flash ( still only available in 32 bits ).
There is some sort of wrapper which I tried, that
permits 64-bit firefox to run Flash, but it broke
every time firefox was upgraded. Using a 32-bit
version of firefox seems to be more robust.

--- "Jonathan S. Billings" <wbanguna at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 06:11:29PM -0500, Patrick
> Wagstrom wrote:
> > Zach wrote:
> >> What type of kernel are you using specifically?
> Just curious if you
> >> have to download a special 64-bit kernel or not.
> Can a single Linux
> >> kernel support 32 and 64? I guess you needed an
> SMP one too.
> >
> > Now that SMP is standard even on laptops most
> every kernel is SMP enabled.
> > To use a 64bit vs 32bit you'll need to switch out
> all the userland programs
> > too.  You'll want to grab the 64 bit version of
> fedora or ubuntu (or insert
> > distro here).
> >
> > In most cases, however, you'll be better off
> sticking with 32 bit right
> > now.  The kinks are almost completely worked out,
> but many proprietary
> > tools still don't work with 64bit.
>
> I've been using an x86_64 (64 bit) kernel for the
> past 2 years.  At
> first it was more problematic, but since I'm keeping
> up to date with
> Fedora releases, it's improved quite a bit.
>
> I'd like to add that you can continue to use a 64
> bit kernel and 32
> bit apps.  On our clusters, we only use 64 bit
> kernels, even though a
> lot of users have 32 bit only codes.  It makes sense
> if you have a lot
> of RAM, in particular.  (A lot being defined as over
> 4G.)
>
> On my workstation, I use an i386 firefox, and
> everything else x86_64.
>
> --
> Jonathan Billings <wbanguna at gmail.com>

Terry McIntyre &lt;terrymcintyre at yahoo.com&gt;

“Wherever is found what is called a paternal government, there is found state education. It has been discovered that the best way to insure implicit obedience is to commence tyranny in the nursery.”

Benjamin Disraeli, Speech in the House of Commons [June 15, 1874]