[wplug] cores

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Wed Mar 5 18:11:29 EST 2008

Zach wrote:
> What type of kernel are you using specifically? Just curious if you
> have to download a special 64-bit kernel or not. Can a single Linux
> kernel support 32 and 64? I guess you needed an SMP one too.

Now that SMP is standard even on laptops most every kernel is SMP enabled.
  To use a 64bit vs 32bit you'll need to switch out all the userland
programs too.  You'll want to grab the 64 bit version of fedora or ubuntu
(or insert distro here).

In most cases, however, you'll be better off sticking with 32 bit right
now.  The kinks are almost completely worked out, but many proprietary
tools still don't work with 64bit.

--Patrck