[wplug] cores

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 2 16:16:56 EST 2008

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 14:46:41 -0500
"Michael Semcheski" <mhsemcheski at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Tom Rhodes <trhodes at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > Python is the worst, most useless programming language I have
> > seen and I DARE ANYONE to argue with me.  :P
> >

> I know I'm going to take flack for this, but I have a five word retort.
>
> perl - the write only language.
>
> But, your jabs at python will not affect me.  I refuse to argue the merits
> of an interpreted language.

I don't like perl either.  But at least with perl, I could probably
take a cidr block, convert it to binary, and then generate netmasks
on the fly.  Every attempt I've made in python to do this has
ended in utter failure (because apparently you can't do bitwise
operations on ctypes).  In C it's just this:

uint32 cidr2nmbin(uint32 n) = (uint32)(~0) << (32 - n);

If perl is unable to do that (as apparently python can't) then it's
just as useless ...

--
Tom Rhodes