[wplug] cores

terry mcintyre terrymcintyre at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 1 21:53:41 EST 2008

It isn't easy to characterize the Intel line so
simply, there are so many variations.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2

Most people see a benefit with two cores, however
implemented, even on Windows, especially since that
malware magnet must spend a lot of CPU time checking
every incoming file for viruses. Having a 2nd core
allows it to do useful work meanwhile.

Beyond that, your mileage may vary. I'm happily using
a quad 6600, and keeping several CPUs maxed with a
study of Go-playing programs, which are extremely CPU
intensive.

--- "Brian A. Seklecki"
<lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 21:21 -0500, Zach wrote:
> > dual-core vs core-duo ?
>
> v.s. better code v.s. 30 amp PDUs
>
> Generally the core-duo is the desktop line, and
> dual/quad-core is the
> Xeon server line (and the affiliated north/south
> bridge / MB chipset --
> and thus buses, RAID Controller, network.)
>
> Its all marketing though -- CPUs really haven't
> gotten any faster since
> 2003 when the last genuine P4 3.2 was released, and
> more cores only
> helps some applications, some libraries/APIs, on
> some kernels
>
> Luckily Linux and Apache is one such combination.
>
> ~BAS
>

> > zach

Terry McIntyre &lt;terrymcintyre at yahoo.com&gt;

“Wherever is found what is called a paternal government, there is found state education. It has been discovered that the best way to insure implicit obedience is to commence tyranny in the nursery.”

Benjamin Disraeli, Speech in the House of Commons [June 15, 1874]