[wplug] Verizon FIOS experience with Linux?

Roland Hess me at harkyman.com
Sun Jun 29 16:15:45 EDT 2008

> I would advise everybody to insist upon staying with the copper for
> phones.  Verizon is not obligated to provide access for other providers
> over fiber, only over copper.  Their goal is to get people off copper
> then pull it from the poles and remove all but wireless and coax cable
> as competition.  That isn't opensource or at lease it isn't open access.

While I'm not eligible due to my location, I had read about their
default position, which was to cut the copper on FIOS installation. I
warned a friend of mine who was considering getting FIOS. So, straight
from their mouths, they sever the copper to you home, removing the
ability to ever use a third party carrier for local, hardwired phone
service. My friend went with it anyway, as his dislike of Comcast (his
current provider) was... strong.

Roland