[wplug] USB video capture recommendations

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Wed Jun 18 23:42:41 EDT 2008

"James O'Kane" <jo2y at midnightlinux.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for a USB video capture device. I can and have been doing
> searches, what I'm asking the list for is any personal experience.

Not my personal experience, but someone else's...

The July issue of Linux Journal looked at several HDTV devices.
The two USB ones they reviewed were the Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick
and the Hauppage WinTV-HVR-950.  Both are based on the Empiatech
EM2880 chipset which they got working with the development version
of the v4l-dvb drivers (don't know its status regarding mainline).

They gave the Pinnacle slightly higher marks for coming with a
better antenna and a remote control.  Composite in was not
specifically reviewed.

Sorry, but that's about as close to helpful as I can get on this.