[wplug] FreeBSD tar and operator group permissions

larry at daberko.com larry at daberko.com
Wed Jun 18 15:35:10 EDT 2008

Since our FreeBSD list is gone, I'm posting this here.

My workplace uses BackupPC for backing up Linux boxes.  I tried to make
FreeBSD work with it and am getting permission errors.

I created a backuppc user, added it to the operator group.  I also
generated a ssh key and copied the public key to the backup server.  The
backup is done by doing rsync over ssh.

I get these in the logs:
Remote[1]: rsync: opendir "/var/audit" failed: Permission denied (13)
Remote[1]: rsync: opendir "/var/backups" failed: Permission denied (13)
Remote[1]: rsync: opendir "/var/crash" failed: Permission denied (13)
etc etc

Now, reading up on it, it appears that the operator group has read access
to the *raw* disks, and not the files themselves.  This would work better
with dump?

Am I correct?

How can I fix it?  I'd rather not have to give root access in order to
backup the system.